IRS Quick Tip: Power of Attorney as it Relates to Taxes

When it comes to taxes you always have the right to represent yourself before the IRS or you can give someone authorization to represent you. If you want to have someone else represent you, this person must be authorized by the IRS to do so. This need to be either a CPA, Attorney, or enrolled agent. You will also need to fill out, sign, and submit a power of attorney (POA) form to authorization the person to represent you. The documents is Form 2848 and can be found on the IRS website here. To determine where to file this form you should look here under the “Where to File” section  in this document. For those of you who live in Minnesota, like us, the address is 1973 N. Rulon White Blvd. MS 6737, Ogden, UT 84404.

When you sign this form it allows the individual(s) named to represent you before the IRS and receive tax information for either a specific tax matter or specific tax year specified in the form.

Joint filers must submit separate power of attorney forms. If you just want the person to receive your tax information but not have representation powers you can do that too. Refer to this IRS topic for more details. Topic 312

Fake Charities On Top of IRS "Dirty Dozen" Tax Scams For 2015

I Didn’t File My Tax Return – Am I Going to Jail?